Thursday, October 28, 2010

Strong like bull!

I realized that I forgot to talk about the health examination and I had to go through over last weekend. It was a pretty interesting experience to say the least. I am going to tell the story and while you are reading try to picture yourself going through this, don't picture me doing it, picture yourself.
So, early in the morning I meet one of the Chinese staff at the EF school and we quickly hopped into a cab. I am taken to a large government building where I am to be medically examined to make sure that I am health enough to remain in the country. It's mandatory for my residence visa, they are just making sure I don't have AIDS or anything else of that nature. Lydia (the Chinese EF staff member) helps me fill out all of the necessary paperwork and also acts as my translator/guide. First room: Paperwork and payment area. Room 2: A small room that leads to a smaller windowless room where I have my picture taken in front of a red backdrop. Room 3: Upstairs, I walk into the room where there are 5 ladies standing around and I am told to lay on the table that is against the wall. The roll up my sleeves, my pant legs and lift up my shirt to my neck. The put these clamps on my forearms and calves (the clamps were like if someone were to grab your forearm) and also brushed something onto certain areas of my chest with a paint brush then proceeded to place these censors with suction cups all over my chest and stomach with wires going everywhere. I lay there patiently. Next thing I know I have 5 older ladies leaning over me speaking Chinese trying to figure out what was going on with their equipment. I kept hearing "ting bu dong" which means "I don't understand" so I assume something wasn't working correctly. After fidgeting with the wires a bit everything began working properly and I was done. As I was getting up a man entered the room, pointed at my legs and gave me a thumbs up with a smile. I wonder what that meant. Room 4: pretty much an empty room with a man in basically a cage. There was an opening in said cage just big enough for me to stick my arm through. He pats on the little mat thing and I place my arm on it, he ties a rubber tube around the upper part of my arm and then (gloveless) jams a needle into the first vain that pops up. He takes 2 viles of blood, puts a q-tip on the hole and sends me on my way. Room 5: 2 tables are in this room and I am asked to lay down on the far one. One lady is in this room and she lifts up my shirt and proceeds to give me an ultrasound. She looks at my chest, tells me to roll to my side, then to the other side. Once back on my back she rips off a paper towel slaps it on my stomach(for the ultrasound goo) and sends me on my way. Room 6: A woman stands in front of a computer station and tells me to enter a room though a door made of steele that's a food thick (no exaggeration). In this room are x-ray machines and they take an e-ray of my chest. The make me place my chin on top of a box that's against the wall and then hug the box. And I'm done! The funny thing is, I actually got to skip a step. I was supposed to give them a urine sample too. I know people *wink*

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a dirty movie. A dirty, filthy movie. Hope they don't discover that persistent soar that comes and goes...HA! Keep the stories coming, homey! I read them everyday!

    ReplyDelete