Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I'm going back to highschool

Its the beginning of my work week and it started with me observing English classes at the local highschool. My fellow teachers and I exit our taxi and grab a bite at one of the street venders outside the school. It was fried bread with egg, spicy chicken,and lettuce. It was pretty tasty. Next we walk through the guarded gate onto the school grounds. It was a pretty sweet area, they had a huge sports field with the nicest grass I've see since my arrival, an all weather track and basketball courts everywhere. The actual school building was not so impressive, unless you were looking for a largest amount of people in a small space, if that's the case then it was pretty damn impressive! The school had 4 levels and each level held a grade. The school rooms were about what I remember highschool classrooms looking like, just twice the amount of students. They average 60 students per classroom. At the front of the class there was an elevated platform (about 1 foot tall, 2 feet wide) for the teacher to stand on and the rest of the room was student seating. 4 isles with about 2 1/2 feet separating the isles. Like this

Blackboard
platform
SS SS SS SS S = student
SS SS SS SS
SS SS SS SS
SS SS SS SS

You get the picture. Here is my favorite part, their normal English teacher walks onto the platform and there is silence, I walk onto the platform and the entire class erupts in applause. That repeated in all three classrooms I entered. Pretty awesome feeling I gotta say. All of the students were very nice, they would want me to sit beside them, they asked me where I was from, and if I liked Michael Jackson. They love Michael Jackson here so there is instant rapport because I've been a fan for about.. I don't know, forever! Its a good thing I've been practicing my moonwalk a bunch. The classes go well and I take a bunch of notes to gather ideas on how I am going to approach tomorrow (my first day teaching). I think I have a basic idea on what to do.
Changing subjects, today was the first day that I've started to feel a little homesick. Its probably because I'm turning 30 tomorrow and the people who actually care about that are on the opposite side of the planet. At least I have my boy, my walking, barking, furry security blanket. Coming home to him is the best feeling, it makes me feel home.

No comments:

Post a Comment