Monday, October 11, 2010

Boo to Jet-lag

So its my first full day in Jinzhou (remember, its pronounced Jin-Joe) and I met my boss out side at what I thought was 10 a.m. It was raining and I stand there for about 20 minutes until I decide to ask someone via idiot sign language what time it was. I was an hour early. I go back in and play with Cooper for a little bit and finally go back outside when the time is right. I get picked up by my boss in a taxi and we go to the bank of Jinzhou to get my money exchanged. He takes me upstairs to the VIP section and I meet my banker, an American named Leif (Seattle). He sat me down and got me some coffee (which was delicious) and we just chat about the area and what I should expect. He tells me that yes, the Chinese do eat dog in this area but I have nothing to worry about. He says that its pretty frowned upon to serve dog because more and more people are getting dogs as pets, but, he says, you can still find it if you want it.
He also tells me that Jinzhou is probably the safest place I've ever lived and that he could strap all of my money to my naked body and walk me down the darkest alley in the city and I wouldn't get touched. He is a great fella, definitely a good resource to have in this new land.
Next my boss and his girlfriend, a Chinese lady named Vicki, take me to get a cell phone, TP, dog bowl, outlet converter, shampoo, and stuff like that. We have some lunch and then I go home. It was my first solo cab ride and I was pretty nervous. Its nice because when I got here I was given a bunch of laminated cards with address's on them so all I had to do was show the driver the card that says "take me to the Manhattan" (my apt), and they do. Once I got there I rounded up when I should have rounded down with the price of the cab ride, you know, i was trying to give him some extra, and he promptly have me back the money. Maybe tipping is only a city in China.
I walk into my apartment and finally meet my roommate Roger who seems like a nice guy and amazes me that he actually has the guts to drive a motor scooter around town. For the remainder of the day I just hang out in my apartment and take it easy, jet lag is destroying my energy level and appetite. So its 3:30 in the morning here and I am wide awake. I took 3 melatonin thinking it would help me sleep through the night but I guess I was mistaken. It will all come together I'm sure, I just gotta be patient.

1 comment:

  1. Just got finished reading your entries and it sounds like you've had quite the adventure already! I'm freakin' jealous, homes! Stay positive out in the land of China and give ol' Coop a high five for me!

    ReplyDelete