Friday, October 15, 2010

First solo market experience 10/15/2010

Today I got up and decided that I had to get some shampoo and I wasn't going to ask one of the other teachers to take me. I ventured solo to Da Run Fa market. Its a big indoor market, sort of like a mall but on a smaller scale and with a grocery in it. I took a taxi and he dropped me off in front. I walk inside and there are tons of people and I can see the tops of every one of their heads. I feel like the jolly Freed giant. I stroll into the grocery area and just walk around, checking prices and what all is available. I go to the back where all of the fresh produce, meats, etc are located and see a whole turtle (dead on ice), duck heads, stuffed duck feet, live fish, and some things that I can't even recognize. It's definitely a shock to the senses. The do have PBR though so thats good! especially for 2.50 for a 6 pack! I didn't indulge, why come to China to drink PBR. It's good to know that its there though. I had to go upstairs to find the shampoo and I also ended up buying a shoulder back for my computer and other stuff that I take to work, my backpack is just too bulky. I am standing in line at the register and I am the second one in line, an elderly woman walks over to me, looks me right in the eyes and steps right in front of me in line. I have heard that older Chinese people can be pretty rude so I don't think anything of it. Next a younger couple with a baby do the exact same thing! I am clearly in line! All I can do is chuckle to myself and be patient. I pay and leave. Its strange going shopping in more modern markets like that because there are almost more employees than patrons. China has one and a half billion people, thats allot of jobs to provide! So if there is something a person can do, no matter how basic it might be, they will have a person to do it. Every isle has an employee ready to help you.
I come home and hop in the shower with my new shampoo and i'm excited. This is the first time since I've been here that I am using shampoo. I thought I had bought some shampoo and conditioner on my first day here but since the bottles are in Chinese I ended up buying 2 bottles of conditioner. A detail that the lady helping me must have missed. I go to work and work on my lesson plans and get pretty much the next two weeks taken care of. Since I only have 2 classes to teach at this point that wasn't very difficult. Later in the day I sat in on one of our "small stars" classes. Small stars are ages 3-5 and without a doubt the cutest kids I have ever seen in my life, especially when they are trying to speak English. The teacher of the class (Canadian Mike) said that the kids were on especially good behavior because I was in there. I don't know if thats good or bad. Either they respect me or they are intimidated by me. Maybe both! That'll work! I know one thing, I am going to get sick as hell eventually, these kids are coughing, sneezing, picking their nose, wiping snot like nobody's business. Its just a matter of time before it gets to me. Good thing I'm in the right place for some hot tea!

1 comment:

  1. Dude this is great, thanks for sharing this keep it up! MORE PICTURES!

    ReplyDelete