Thursday, November 4, 2010

Interesting times we live in....

Its been a few days since my last post and not too much has happened. Or has it? Maybe I am just getting desensitised to everything after being here for a month. The insane driving doesn't scare me anymore, the pigeons in cages outside of restaurants, doesn't get to me. Teaching has gotten a little stale as well, actually I have 2 stories that are pretty funny/interesting. Last week during my "trailblazers" class, a couple things happened. One of my students decided to pull out a pocket knife and start playing with it in class. Working with kids in the wilderness I am used to seeing them with knives so I didn't think anything of it, I just told him to put it away. Later in the class he pulls it out again and is playing with it/ testing its edge. It finally clicks in my brain that one of my students had a 4 inch blade in school. No bueno! I tell him to give it to me and he hands it over willingly. After class I take him down to the front desk, give the knife to one of the head people and tell them to call is parents and let them know that their kid is 1. carrying a knife and 2. busting it out in class around all the other students. Not sure if they followed through on calling the folks.
The other thing. In the same class I decided to play a game called "Turtle". For those who know me, im sure we have played this game together. It is a tongue twister game that goes from one to ten. One being the easiest and ten being the hardest. One of the kids got stuck on # 8, which goes like this: "eight egotistical egotists echoing echoing egotistical ecstasy". This student started out and got stuck on "egotistical", he would say "ego......testicle!", and of course with me being a 30 year old child I keel over i'm laughing so hard. I find it so funny I leave the room to go and grab my camera (which has a video record option) and make him say it again so I can get it recorded. I can't wait to show my friends this video. Good shit.

Yesterday I was teaching my highschool classes and I asked them to give me an English word that started with the letter P. They all start yelling out words and I write one of them on the board. Then I ask them to give me a word that starts with the last letter of the previous word. With me so far? Eventually the kids yell out the word "herb!!". My head spins around quickly.. "herb?..... Lets talk about that word for a second". I proceed to tell them that the "H" is silent and not to be pronounced, then we practice saying it..."herb.....herb.... pass the herb....please pass the herb!" Imagine 60 Chinese kids all saying "please pass the herb!" all at the same time! Oh the power!!! Again... good shit.

The food here has become my favorite thing so far. Everything is so good, all I want to do is go to restaurants! My chopstick skills are still lagging but I'm getting better! The other day I was taken to a BBQ joint and we had the basics, chicken, beef, bacon wrapped mushrooms, pork. We also threw in a couple odd ones like chicken cartilage and chicken heads. The cartilage was nothing special, just some crunchy, tough, chicken tasting chunks. The chicken heads were something else. They were symmetrically cut in half and put on sticks (everything was on a stick), seasoned, then grilled. Once they got to our table, we took a look and could see the brain, and eyeballs and everything else in the cabeza. I am told that the best way to eat these babies is to just stick the whole thing in your mouth and suck the meat off the bone, then spit out the bones/beek. I did and it was pretty nasty. It was creamy! Ive had brains before so Iexpected that creaminess but mixed with he juice from the eyeball added a whole new element. Did it taste bad? Not really bad actually. Would I do it again? No, probably not. Not because of the bad taste, its because the meat you get isnt worth the effort. Those bones are sharp!

2 comments:

  1. Ha-ha! Ego..testicle! I remember playing that game (with the help of adult beverages). I'm glad you started writing again, homes, because I wasn't sure if something had happened...keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please pass the HERB! Love it! You're the man, Freedo!

    ReplyDelete