Tuesday, November 9, 2010

1 month in.

So it has officially been a month since I moved to Jinzhou and I am starting to feel pretty comfortable. I know a little Chinese and I am starting to make friends outside of work. Today was my first day of visiting an ancient Chinese well.... anything. It was a tower type structure, I don't know what it is called or what it was used for but I do know that it is almost 1000 years old. Think about that. That thing has been standing 776 years longer than the U.S has even existed. Pretty amazing to ponder on.
I went alone and the park it was in was pretty much empty. There was a fella there practicing his sword skills, and there were a couple ladies doing tia chi / fan dancing. It was an amazing site for me because I love history and this is the first bit if Chinese history I've gotten to experience. You can almost feel it, ya know? Have you ever walked around Gettysburg Pa. and just felt that something incredible happened there? It was like that, only I had no clue what went on around this thing so there was a bit of mystery included with it. So now I'm on a mission to find out what this tower was all about in its prime. It is probably about 7 stories tall with stone carvings all around the base. It was fenced off so I couldn't get to close or go inside. On one side of it there was an altar of sorts with incense burning and a kneeling pad for prayer. There was also a man walking around the structure with his hands in front of him in prayer position. I'm thinking it is a religious monument or some sort. Who knows! I'll let you know when I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment