Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Visa documents arrive!

Well it's about damn time! My work visa documents have finally made their way to my doorstep. I should have been in China 2 weeks ago but I have been able to maintain my patience. I have been taking this overflow of time to mentally prepare myself for this life change. Today it really hit home for me, I have been working this lawn mowing gig (extra cash never hurt) and today while I was wackin some weeds I received a text message saying that my documents had arrived. I froze for a second, this is really happening. I'm really going to leave the country and dive into a culture that I am pretty damn ignorant of. Sure, I've looked at maps and perused some coffee table books about the country but that's pretty much it! I'm goin in blind baby! I think that is the part that excites/scares me the most, I wont be able to understand them and they wont be able to understand me, but somehow we need to communicate. At least I'll have my best friend by my side, as always. His name is Cooper and he is my 3 year old Australian Shepherd. He and I have already been through some amazing times together, some of them great, some of them terrible, but he has been by my side through it all and there is no way in hell that I'm taking this step without him. Yes I've heard the "aren't you afraid they are going to eat him?" jokes, and they are starting to get annoying. No one is going to eat my dog people!! So drop it!
I have also been wondering if people really are happy for me that I'm doing this. They say that they are but the comments are so obviously contrived that Helen Keller could tell that they weren't sincere. Oh well, it doesn't matter. All is well.......All is well.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your time in China. You are going to meet some great people and quickly find that the stuff we order as takeout or eat at the buffet has almost nothing in common with the chinese food in China. Great to see the blog. Plan on keeping up on your an Coop's adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you! Everyone should take on an adventure like this, it improved my life in so many ways. The struggles and the triumphs will change you forever. I look forward to your next post and can't wait to see some pictures once you get there.

    Namaste my friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cook-out last night - so glad we got to have a proper send-off for your great adventure. As I was looking at the nightsky, I was thinking that you would be looking at the same sky, but from the total opposite side of the same small world. Good luck in everything - we will try and keep your mother in line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet Australian Shepard would taste great roasted over an open fire... HAHA! Sorry, I had to. I'm going to miss Coop. And you. But mainly Coop. Seriously, your going to do fine over there, Michael Broseph Jackson. I have all the confidence in the world that your going to make a great impression on the land of China. Just remember the humor you have over here will not fly over there. And remember this old Chinese proverb:
    喝的水和腹泻是不可避免的。不可避免的。
    Congratualtions! You deserve this experience!

    ReplyDelete