Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The times, they are a changin.

I am quickly approaching my 2 year mark here in China and its kind of a odd realization.  I didn't anticipate this.  "This" being, a life here.  A life that I could never have anywhere else, especially in my very own country.  It feels good to be the proverbial big(ger) fish and to feel important.  I know that to some of the people here I am a walking talking Yuan sign and that primarily comes from the color of my skin, and that's ok.  That's ok because I know that I am more than that and they will eventually see that as well.  I am an ambassador for all Americans in this small city and as such they need to see that we are more than a group of bullies that randomly slaughter a theater full of people.  I suppose this could all resort back to the "nature vs. nurture" debate, and if I were to engage in said topic with a well spoken Chinese citizen it would be a very interesting conversation due to the massive cultural differences in the upbringing of children.  As we well know, China has a "1child" policy that was introduced in 1978 so meeting someone around my age,  with a brother or sister is very rare, but possible(they tend to call their cousins "brother" and "sister").  It is possible because there are conditions to the clause.  That being, if you are an only child, and your spouse is an only child, you are allowed to have 2 children.  If you choose to have have more than one child, which some wealthy families do, especially if the first child is a female, you will pay a tax.  Ive been told that its around 15,000 USD but don't hold me to that number.  So, one would think that they hold life in the highest regard due to the controlled procreation.  This is true to an extent and then it appears to do a flip flop.  My old roommate and I have talked about this on several occasions and we still don't understand it. From my personal experience, I have worked with a newly pregnant woman who wore an apron that was supposed to "protect her baby from radiation" and she eventually quit her job 3 weeks into her pregnancy because she said it was "too stressful for her baby".  Which she swore up and down was a boy, by the way.  There was no way in the world that it was going to be a girl in her mind.  I haven't kept in contact with this woman but I do know that she gave birth to a healthy beautiful baby girl about 4 or 5 months ago and cried for 2 days because she couldn't give her husband a son.  That dispare quickly passed and now, I'm told that she is one of the best parents you would ever see.  Th point of that whole schpeal was that the status of the child seems to change post birth.  Obviously, as you have just read, the unborn child is (as it should be) treated like a he/she is the next saviour.  After the child is born and they see that it is healthy, they become a little more relaxed.  I've seen youngsters running straight into the street and playing in busy parking lots.  I saw one scooter with 5 people on it.  3 adults and 2 babies being hung off the side, being held by the 2nd and 3rd adults with the first driving.  I can't help but scratch my head to things like that when I see them, it just confuses me.  That might just be something I'll never understand.  Stateside, child protective services would have been called before that scooter even started moving.  For the record, not all parents are like that, I've met some of the most loving and dedicated parents in the world since I've been here, its just that Ive seen a bunch of the opposite as well.  So as regards to nature vs. nurture, where do they hold the majority of their stock?  I feel, as Americans, we have a decent blend of both.  I personally lean more towards the nurture side of the argument.  The child does come out innately something, but I think the knowledge and morals fed builds a more solid foundation. 
               On a different note,  I am sitting here at my new apartment having some coffee and listening to Exile on Main Street and I'm excited.  I'm excited for the change that is about to happen.  I will hopefully start a new school in October which means no more English First (my current school).  The new school will be a medical university so I will get to work with adults that actually want to be in class.  EF has been good for the most part but with the changes that have been taking place lately (new management) I'm happy to be leaving.  Just recently the higher ups told me that I had to move due to the new teachers coming not liking dogs but they have to live in the apartment Ive been in for a year and half.  Mari and I are in, what we think, is a nicer place but I have to pay an extra 500 RMB a month.  The kicker is, those teachers aren't even coming anymore!  The sole reason I had to move all my shit has backed out.  There's some karma for you.  I've been nothing but a loyal and hardworking employee to them and they reward that service with forcing me to move and pay for an apartment.  Now, that action has solidified my decision to leave the school and the teachers they've put so much stock in aren't coming!  They've lost twice.
               Cooper is doing great.  I can tell his anxiety is a little high lately with the move.  He can sense those types of things.  He has been following Mari and me around the apartment being a little bit needy.  He even will lie next to you while you are on the toilet.  He is afraid you are going to leave him.  It's all good though, this isn't his first rodeo when it comes to moving around.  That dog has seen and done more things that a lot of people I know.  Walking him around this apartment complex is so much better than the previous.  The first place, the people looked at him in fear and would even turn completely around to avoid him.  Here, the people love him, they tell me how beautiful he is and instead of picking up their babies to shield them from the savage beast, they put the baby on the ground and tell him/her to look at the "da gao".  Big dog.  Coop seems to be more at ease here too.  Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment