Monday, March 28, 2011

You've been CrewsiFreed

I am starting to really view this place as home. I look around me and watch the people and think to myself, this is where I live now, this is my home. I'm not really surprised by anything anymore which is weird because there is some really weird shit that goes on here sometimes. The way of life here is so different but at the same time there is a deep feeling of familiarity that calms me. Do I want to permanantly live here? No, probably not. Although the thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion. I mean, I make a more money than I need here (chinese money) which makes it very easy to save some for when I return stateside, I have an amazing apartment thats free, everything is dirt cheap, and I feel like a celebrity everywhere I go. Strangers come up to me and ask for pictures just because I'm a white guy. It feels pretty good, I gotta say. None of this could ever take me away from my family and loved ones. They are all I have and I need to protect that. Yesterday was Neve's 28th birthday and we threw a party. It was a good time and if finally gave Mike and I a chance to play the music we have been practicing for people. Have I mentioned that before? British Mike and I get together once a week and he plays guitar and I sing. We have different tastes in music so its nice to hear some new stuff and have someone listen to what I like. Mike is officially a bluegrass and a Grateful Dead fan. OK back to the party. About 15-20 people showed up and Mike and I were a little nervous. British Jon and Gabe sat in with us too. Jon played the guitar and Gabe played a drum type instrument. We played 3 songs: Tangled up in blue, my my hey hey, and Hallelujah. It went really well! I was very happy with the way we sounded and the reaction we got from everyone. Oh yea, we have figured out a band name too. Mike's last name is Crewe and of course mine is Freed so we named ourselves "CrewsiFreed". I think that's pretty damn funny. My Chinese is progressing well, I have actually had conversations with people in Chinese. They were as basic as you could get but it still felt good to be able to communicate. I've even negotiated prices! I have also started to learn how to read and write Chinese. Its alot of fun actually, their characters are complex and beautiful. I can see how it is an artform. I just want to be able to walk around the streets and tell what all the shops are. Whelp today is the most beautiful day of the year so far so Im going to go play my home made disc golf course!

No comments:

Post a Comment